I have always been puzzled by what an A-Team means. I know it is a term from the military for an elite band of troops that is highly effective at hurting the enemy. But that doesn’t seem to fit in the business world (at least not my business world) and yet we are constantly hearing about the need to build A-Teams if we want success.
So like all smart business owners I decided to ask our team. Specifically, I asked what they think are the attributes of A-Team people. The results were both surprising and eye opening. Here they are:
- People who are actively involved in the success of their company.
- They have a genuine caring for the well-being of the clients.
- A-Teams never, ever talk negatively about their customers.
- A-Team people are collaborative; never afraid to ask for help.
- They are always asking why and why not.
- They are committed to doing their very best work. This does not mean they have high IQ’s, PHD’s and are super performers. It means they are committed to doing the best work within their area of responsibility.
- Which leads us to; they are never afraid of taking responsibility when things go wrong; they don’t believe in excuses.
- While they have diverse interests they share the same values as the company and their team mates.
- They are focused on achieving goals for both themselves, their team and their company.
- They put the team success in front of their own success.
- They take their work seriously but strongly believe that work should be fun.
- A-Team people take Initiative.
- They love learning – inquisitive mind – self-development focused.
- Love what they do.
- They don’t take themselves too seriously.
- Open minded – they don’t say no instead they say how can we achieve this.
- Team players.
- Trustworthy, authentic, reliable and full of integrity.
So that’s what our A-Team thinks an A-Team should be!
As you can see an A-Team does not need superheroes; in fact superheroes would be too self-absorbed! A-Team people deeply believe in what the company is doing, care about their customers, want success for their team, love the work they are doing and is good at it, and share the same values as everybody else. That is so much better than hurting the enemy!
Ready to build your A-Team? Here is our Six Step Process to Successful Recruiting.
Not sure what your A-Team looks like? We can help! Check out our Strategic Focus Vision Session™ .
Are you ready to grow your business? Fill out our Strategic Focus Scorecard™ to see where your business lies. Click here!
Sign up for our Free Conquer the Seven Barriers to Business Growth™ Program here!