You don’t build your business by “earning revenue”you build your business by “generating revenue”. And you generate revenue by getting out on the streets and letting people know the value of what you do. But you don’t want to tell everyone; after all not everyone cares. But you do want to tell people who might buy from you or to people who will happily tell other people to buy from you.
As you know we are all about focus. And so we are all about providing small business owners with the tools to help them stay focused. One such tool is the Top Twenty, used to stay focused on those 20 people who are most likely to generate revenue in the next 90 days; now that’s focus!
So imagine a form with 4 columns (if you would like an electronic version of a blank Top Twenty email me firstname.lastname@example.org). Column 1 contains the name. In column 2 you write what your next step is; coffee, or email or phone call. Column 3 is the powerful column. It is the purpose or desired result from having this person in your Top Twenty. The 4th column is the done column; check it off!
Here is how to start and use your Top Twenty:
- First step is to go through your contacts and identify the 20 people who you think can help you generate revenue in the next 90 days. Examples of types of people on the list:
- Top clients who will refer you
- People who are loyal to you and have referred you in the past
- That one person who has a big future and you want to be a part of their network of friends or associates who are just like them.
- You need to have at least 20 people in your Top Twenty but you can have more.
- As you are creating the list, ask yourself WHY? As mentioned above there is a column for purpose/desired result. The result may be to get a speaking opportunity, a meeting, establish a strategic alliance. This is not the end result it is the result of that activity.
- The next step (column 2) doesn’t have to be all about phone calls and dinners! It can be thank you cards and invites to a networking group. Create a unique experience for them.
- This is more than just a list; much more:
- Carry it around with you.
- You should look at it every single day.
- Integrate it into your schedule so you make those contacts even when you are busy with Money Now ‘ client work.
- When you have a break in your day, pull out your Top Twenty to see if there is anyone you should be calling.
Now you have your Top Twenty remember the fortune is in the follow up ‘ it’s not their job to be in touch with you. You must follow up with them.
Complete your Small Business Scorecard to find out how you are positioned for your business growth