There are many reasons why business owners should not waste time creating plans:
- Things change so rapidly plans become obsolete before they are finished
- Far too busy to take time out to plan
- Don’t know how to plan
- In the time it takes to plan I can be looking for new customers
- Look at our success and we have never had a plan!
- What is planning?
And all these reasons are valid if you are going to write up a plan, run it through spell-check and then file it away in your bottom draw. A plan that is not used on a daily basis is as useless as having no plan!
In our experience building a business without creating AND USING a plan is unpredictable and risky. Some would call it a crap shoot! So here we present ten reasons to plan the future of your business. In the next blog we will show you how to create a plan and then we will follow that with an explanation on how to use your plan.
- Without a plan the decisions made and the actions taken are reactive as opposed to proactive. While this is fine in the early days of a new business, as the team grows and client base expands it turns the business into a Fragmented Focus TreadmillTM.
- A plan provides you with a very clear understanding of the destination of the business. With a clear destination you can easily develop the road map to get there and, more importantly, monitor the progress.
- When things change (as they will) a plan gives you the framework to evaluate the change and make educated decisions on how you should modify your plan to reflect the change. Yes, plans are living breathing things and do change.
- When working in a team the plan provides the common vision, purpose and direction. It becomes the contract between all members of the team. Everyone is clear on what each person must do and when they should do it.
- A plan is your management tool to ensure everyone is working on the right things and you are staying on track.
- A plan will give you focus. And we know all successful people are focus gurus. They are able to focus their attention and energy on the right things at the right time.
- If you want to grow you business the plan is the blueprint to growth. As Philip Orsini wrote; “Companies don’t fail because they grow. They fail because they don’t plan their growth.”
- If you fail to plan you plan to fail!
- A plan puts you in the business mind mentality. It forces you to clarify what business you are in, to face the reality and facts of your situation and to think beyond the here and now.
- Your responsibility as a business owner is to be constantly thinking of the future and ensuring what is being done today is aimed at that future. Without a plan this becomes impossible.
And Number 11! As Yogi Berra, the famous baseball player and creator of quotable quotes, once said: “If you don’t know where you are going you will end up somewhere else”. Happy planning!